Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Character Makeover

This was the first week of Character Makeover.
We had a great time in class and I am actually looking forward to starting the teen version of this called "Becoming Real in a Fake World" with my middle daughter and some of her teen friends. Pray for me.


One of the statements from the introduction was about strongholds. Do You know what those are? I loved her description.

" The term strongholds refers to areas where our enemy, Satan, has set up camp and dug in , creating for himself a fortress from which he launches attacks and tries to destroy us. These are the places where we repeatedly experience discouragement, stress, defeat, and damage. These are the monsters that keep us from our God-given dreams."

She suggests these are the 8 qualities that we will be working on:

1. A stronghold of Pride is addressed by focusing on Humility.
2. A stronghold of Insecurity is addressed by focusing on Confidence.
3. A stronghold of Fear is addressed by focusing on Courage.
4. A stronghold of Anger is addressed by focusing on Self-Control.
5. A stronghold of Impatience is addressed by focusing on Patience.
6. A stronghold of Envy is addressed by focusing on Contentment.
7. A stronghold of Greed is addressed by focusing on Generosity.
8. A stronghold of Quitting is addressed by focusing on Perseverance.

After taking a self inventory, I was not surprised by the things that discourage, defeat and distress me. I am excited about the weeks to come.

My garage is so full of junk right now that I wouldn't want anyone to look in but if I ever want to get my car in there I am going to have to face it and clean it out.I am going to have to raise the door and take a chance that a drive by might peer in, that is how I feel about this study. We are going to be pealing back the layers of junk to get to the good stuff. I am so ready to free myself of unwanted baggage to soar like an Eagle, Head held high and free.

Isaiah 40:31

But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary and they will walk and not be faint.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Sounds like a powerful study. Looking forward to hearing your "take-aways" in the days ahead.

Blessings!

Beth Herring said...

That verse in Isaiah is one of my very favorites. I just fills my heart with joy!

I look forward to hearing what the Lord is teaching you and learning from it.

Beth